It’s quite clear that the time you spend going to your Place of Primary Assignment (PPA), going for CDS on Thursdays or whatever day of the week your Local Government (LG) decides and living in whatever city/town/village said LG is located makes for the main part of the whole NYSC scheme; after all, this is the part you spend the most time on.
For me, I got to serve in Ibadan (‘got to’ as in past tense because my mind isn’t here again and left to me, I’ve passed out ). If you didn’t know, Ibadan is basically BTEC Lagos. Arguable since there’s probably many other cities across the nation that share more semblance to Lagos but I say this mainly because of the close proximity between both cities.
Ibadan is actually okay. I expected way less but having been here for close to a year, I’ve come to realise it’s a decent city. It has it’s meh qualities like
– I’ve noticed my English has been heavily affected. I use terms I never would’ve thought would come out of my mouth; also, I have frequent ‘h-factor’ slip-ups (although, it’s likely it’s just the Yoruba in me manifesting but let’s blame Ibadan)
– Drivers are equally as mad as the ones in Lagos, if not worse even
– The city sleeps way too early. I mean, ordinary 10pm and most places are deserted. 10pm that is like 8pm in Lagos
– At least once a week, I see two men and a goat on a bike
It also has it’s cool qualities like
– Transportation is cheap. There’s legit cab rides that go for N20/N30
-Traffic isn’t crazy. There’s days this doesn’t hold but generally, especially when one is used to Lagos. …well
– I want to say things are generally cheap but I’m still not so sure
Anyway, I’m more interested in giving a personal primer of the place. By the way, whatever kind of personality you have, or whatever you define as fun, there’s something for you.
So, personal. I’ve had a whole lot of experiences here, so far. Been to quite a couple of places, had weird experiences with locals, some proper ridiculous things even; basically seen a lot. I should mention that the things you do and the places you go to would be heavily dependent on the people you roll with most; unsurprising anyway. While preparing to move here, my friends who were also going to be here as well and I swore we would hang steady but, LOOOOOOL. I mean, we still saw many times but not as frequently as we expected. A lot of factors contributed but that’s by the way.
For me, I got to meet someone and we spent literally all our free time together. And so, it’s no surprise that most of the places I went to were with said person.
There’s a whole lot so I’m going to split the content into different parts: one for nice places I’ve been to and the other for the ridiculous experiences and relevant tips.